Monday, February 27, 2012

Song at the Scaffold

In encouraging my students to beef up their Lenten spiritual reading, I recently picked up Song at the Scaffold by Gertrud Von la Fort. It is an exciting novel about a convent of Carmelite nuns who are martyred with the guillotine during the French Revolution and go singing to the scaffold.

This book peaked my interest after recently spending a "Vocations Week" with my students. We studied the history of various religious orders and wrote to different convents from around the world! It was exciting to see what would come in the mail next. As well as hearing from Franciscans, we even were sent a coloring book of Benedictine life in a French convent! Each little picture was drawn by the Sisters there. We received letters from Dominican Sisters in New Zealand and from some Carmelite Sisters in Wyoming, who simply signed their letter "The Carmelites" and never once used the word "I." 

In the letter from the Carmelites, we received a beautiful holy card I'd never seen before: the Carmelite Sisters  on their way to the guillotine.

No comments:

Post a Comment