Thursday, September 8, 2011

Morning Chats with God

There once was an elderly man, who whenever he said his morning prayers, always made sure there was an extra, empty chair.  And that empty chair, was always only a few feet from him.  At the end of his prayers, he would look across at that lone, little chair...and just stare at it.  He never said anything during those quiet moments of reflection.  He just kept staring at that little old chair.  One morning, his granddaughter approached him. 

"Grandpa, why do you always pray with an empty chair?"
"Why not?  Where else would my Lord sit when I talk to Him?"

Its, of course, just a story, but one that actually started a morning tradition for me.  If I knew Our Lord was sitting in that chair across from me.  Or kneeling by my side during those nightly Rosaries, I'm sure my attitude, my whole attention, would be different.  So why not put that physical reminder there.....not allowing me to forget the One who is always present with me.  The One I owe my entire existence to.  It may sound a little strange, but as I say my prayers now, I try to remind myself through that tiny physical reminder, that the Sweet Father in Heaven, His Blessed Mother, all the Saints I so often invoke; they all surround me as I pray.  And the comfort I receive as I end my morning reflection has enabled me to take on a new perspective throughout the day.  I've had my "Morning Chat" with God.  And I've consecrated every action of the day into His hands. 

Christ with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me, Christ within me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ at my right, Christ at my left,
Christ in the house
Chris in the chariot seat,
Christ in the deck
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks to me
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me
I bind myself today
The strong virtue of an invocation of the Trinity,
I believe the Trinity in the Unity
The Creator of the Universe.
(excerpt from St. Patrick's Breastplate)

No comments:

Post a Comment