Saturday, June 4, 2011

New Mommy Dramas

Yesterday was, well...in short, just plain awful.  You know those kinds of days;  when everything you do just doesn't seem to come out quite like you meant it?  By the end of the day, you find yourself wondering why you even bothered to get out of bed.  As I explained to my husband through an email, I just wanted to be a little mole, and stay in my little hole to avoid getting in my own way.  And like the wonderful husband that he is, he replied that no matter what, he still loved his "little mole." 

I've come down with what seems to be turning into the worst cold---ever!  I'm sure lack of sleep and stress has played a huge factor in worsening it, but my goodness, between not being able to breathe or hear, to now waking up without a voice----I'm pretty well out cold.  (Oh!  And did I mention my 6 month old has this nasty cold as well?!)

So that was just the Preface to my no. good. very. bad. terribly. awful day yesterday.  After meeting with the surveyors who will be moving us out to California and feeling overwhelmed as soon as I closed the door, I decided it would be a good idea to get out into the sunshine, and enjoy the day.  So despite feeling like a drugged zombie, I packed my Lilybug up and off we went.  Only to get into the car and find out my car was completely on empty....light on and all.  "Not a problem!  We'll just go fill up" I over confidently remark to myself.  After pulling into the station, my day suddenly takes off spiraling downward.  No credit card.  Nowhere.  Not in the wallet, not in the diaper bag, nope, not even in the car.  After spending 15 minutes sitting at the pump frantically tearing apart everything in my car, I realize I have a $10 bill and that's it.  So I fill my car with that, receiving a measly quarter of a tank, I head home in a panic. 

Now I don't know about other new moms, but I swear ever since I got pregnant with my Lilybug, I have lost whatever brain cells I had in there to begin with.  I can barely remember what I ate for breakfast that morning, never mind where I may have put a small, square credit card!  So trying to recall when I had last used it only proved to be a frustrating effort.  Finally, I conclude I last used it this past Tuesday---great.  That's three days ago.  So I frantically log onto our banking account and am relieved to find that at least no activity has been performed on it since the last time I used it. Which means I AM the one to blame for this horrible nightmare.  Anyway, to make a long story short---I sent some panic-stricken emails off to my husband, and some desperate pleas up to our good friend St. Anthony---I miraculously receive a calm and collect call from my wonderful hubby.  (now just to paint the picture for you all, he's on the ship and I haven't talked to him in days and normally he doesn't get any cell reception, and he's definitely not supposed to be using his cell...so the fact that he was able to receive my emails and get cell reception yesterday was just a miracle lol) 

My husband does wonderful in situations like these.  He never loses control, and he stays calm throughout the entire situation.  I think its his military training, but whatever it is...its definitely a good thing because his poor pathetic wife and a tendency to just...blubber!  So he calmly suggests to his sobbing wife..."You know, sometimes when you're in a rush, you tend to stick it in your back pocket.  Did you look there?"  And then.  It happens.  The lightbulb goes off.  Yes!  That's where it was!  Thankfully, I did find my credit card.  And you would think, after such a disaster, it would be hard to top that.  Well...don't worry.....I found a way to top it.

Deciding to make the best of the day regardless, I re-packed up my daughter and off we went again to get a few necessities.  Well, in short, I managed to completely drop a whole jug of juice on the aisle of the store and make an entire mess by its explosion.  At this point...I think the clerk could see all I wanted to do was just burst out crying.  I had a cold.  I couldn't breathe.  I could barely talk.  My daughter was squawking.  I'd already had my little financial scare.  And now, this was just the icing on the cake.  Sticky, red cranberry juice, all over the floor.  Thankfully, the clerk was very understanding and very sweet about it...and cleaned it all up for me.  But as I'm sure you can imagine, I bought my merchandise, got in my car, and drove home....returning to my little "mole hole", there to stay for the rest of the day.


They say "tomorrows are brand new days with no mistakes in it" (Anne of Green Gables).  Oh please, please let that be the case!

No comments:

Post a Comment