Saturday, May 21, 2011

How to Become Resale Savvy

Summer vacation is coming, and for me that means one very important thing: time to go resale shopping!



In the summers, I have more free time to indulge one of my latest guilty pleasures-- library used book sales and consignment/resale stores. I recently started cruising the resale strip. It's like a treasure hunt-- you never know what you will find! Running across this book at the library got me interested in the world of resale, and I've been addicted ever since.

Along the way, I've learned some good tips to the "art of resale-ing":


  
1. Location, Location, Location 
(wealthier neighborhoods have nicer quality items-- check there first!)
2. If at First You Don't Succeed...
(Go back multiple times to the same store. Find out when they put out their new merchandise and be ready to pounce on those days!)
3.Check Tags 
(Look at the tags of clothing and handbags to see the manufacturer. If you're not well-versed in designer brands, simply check to see how much care has been put into the tag. i.e.- Target stamps a lot of clothes with their name while Banana Republic tends to have quality tags well-sewn into the fabric)
4. Patience is a Virtue 
(I've spend hours sitting on the floor of Goodwill looking through books-- my best finds have been the books that were on the bottom of the pile or shoved in the back)
5. Network 
(I've discovered that the resale world has its own culture! Resalers talk all the time and give each other recommendations and new stores. You might be surprised who resales in your life-- I was!)
6. Check for Deals 
(For example, Goodwill offers coupons via email and student discount days)
7. Cleanliness is Next to Godliness 
(Always wash any clothes you buy from a resale or consignment store. It was someone else's for awhile even if they never wore it. I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in my glove compartment for in-between trips)
8. Try it On!
(Don't be afraid to try things on. Return policies can be tricky at resale places)
9. Spot Check
(Always give whatever you're buying a second look. There may be a REASON the previous owner gave it up. Look for stains, rips, etc... Does the zipper work?)
10. Have Fun!
(Part of the fun of resale-ing is the cheap factor. Always wanted a pair of red heels...now's your chance to try them for $4! If you wear them once, you can always "recycle" them back to another resale store)

Have any other tips to share? Let us know in the comments! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment