Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Resale Riches!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we know all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?"
- Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables


Let me first tell you....today was a very fun, successful day.  Why you ask??  It's simple, I relived my childhood through the magic of books. My husband and I stopped in at a resale shop to glance at their book section, and walked away with a 32 books...all children books.  At .69-.99  cents a book, how could we refuse?!  I'm so excited about my findings that I thought I would share a few favorites with you all and see if maybe it triggers a delightful walk down memory lane as well.






Chicka, Boom Boom by Bill Martin JR is a childhood favorite of mine.  It doesn't look like much from the outside, but the clever way in which the author attempts to teach the alphabet is very fun.  As the whole alphabet begins to climb up a tree, the tree unfortunately "chicka chicka boom booms!"  Poor "black eyed P" and "loose-toothed T"! 





Stone Soup by Marcia Brown is another classic. When three soldiers come to the village to find food, all the villagers are "mysteriously" unable to provide any extra food.  The soldiers cleverly offer to make "Stone Soup", the best tasting soup...and are able to persuade the villagers to offer all their missing food!  In this particular addition, I like the pictures because they aren't quite as modern as most books you find now a days, and I think its important for a child to see "color" through the eye of their imagination.






Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald is not one I read as a child, but one my husband fondly remembers on his mother's bookshelf.  Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle apparently loves children and has a remedy for every bad habit there ever was.  A wonderful story aimed at teaching children to behave properly!









Strega Nona by the much beloved Tomie dePaola is magical as always.  Between his unique sketches, to his enchanting and charming writing story, this story captivated me as a child as the pasta grew and grew and grew!  A good lesson in listening and obeying too!









Abe Lincoln, the boy who loved books by Kay Winters is a nice little "history lesson" for children about our President, while at the same time giving them motivation to enjoy books!  Beautiful pictures too, and very easy to read.












Christmas Miracle for Jonathan Toomey by Susan Woichechowski is an excellent, excellent Christmas story!  There's also a movie out that is very cute as well.  This story shows the warmth and beauty of friendship, that stretches even beyond the limits of age.




A  few other favorites:

The Amelia Bedelia series
The Cordouroy series
The Happy Hollister series
The Bobbsey Twin series and The Curlytops (both of which are pretty hard to find now)
Caps for Sale
Blueberries for Sal
Make Way for Ducklings (this is actually a special book because I come from Boston, where the story takes place!)
The Story of Ferdinand the Bull
Alexander's Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day (Absolute classic for when I was younger!)
Children's Books About....Lying, Teasing, Fighting etc. by Joy Berry  These are excellent books to use for teaching your children manners

These are just a few, and I'm sure there are so many others.  We're always looking for book recommendations, so feel free to share some!

No comments:

Post a Comment