Friday, April 8, 2011

This is War!

My student teaching experience lately has been a...challenge to say the least.

Walking back to the classroom after lunch today, I resolved to stop thinking like a teacher...and start thinking like a soldier: This is war.

Believe it or not, it's actually helped! Instead of looking at lesson plans, I'm trying to visualize them as battle plans. Instead of looking at pupils...I see them as troops. The most important mental shift I've adopted is that although I take marching orders from my captain (the classroom teacher), my allegiance is to the General alone (God).

To assist me in this battle, I have no weapon but the rosary. I'm dusting off one of my favorite rosaries for this task- my combat rosary. They are called combat rosaries because volunteers make the rosaries and ship them to soldiers. These rosaries are made of plastic and parachute cord, so they are "military friendly" because they contain no metal parts. Here's where I got my combat rosary. Affordable, and pretty indestructible, these rosaries are great reminders of the Spiritual Battle we face every day.

So, I send you off into your own daily battle with the old battle cry of the Crusaders, "Deus Vult!" (God Wills It!)

Before Omaha Beach, D-Day (June 1944)

No comments:

Post a Comment