Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sponsa Christi


"How many of you have met a nun in a habit before?" I asked my 12 middle school catechism students the other day.

No hands went up...

As tragic as this is, I can't say I was that surprised. I didn't see a nun in full habit until I was in 8th grade either. The Franciscan convent in my town is slowly dying off. Many of the Sisters are too old to participate in an active apostolate and spend their days inside the Mother House. Many of the rest of the members of this former teaching order live in apartments all across town and hold a variety of jobs (a blog for another day).


When I ran across this episode of Oprah not that long ago, I was floored. While most convents are full of elderly women, the average age of a sister in this convent is 26! The Dominican Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist are a conservative, fully habit-ed order of Sisters whose convent is busting at the seams! Inviting Lisa Ling into the convent over night, the nuns provide fascinating insight into the life of a spouse of Christ. Check out some of the things they had to say about the consecrated life...

No comments:

Post a Comment